Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pregos.

Okay, I don't have cable so I haven't been able to watch the news or anything, but I was at my parents house this morning and picked up the newspaper and started reading. I came across the article of the lady that had optuplets and is unemployed. Did I mention she already has 6 kids and supports them on food stamps?! She also gets disability payments for three of her children. Because the octuplets were born prematurely they have to stay in the hospital. In the article they were saying that the hospital had requested a reimbursement from Medi-Cal.

"...the average cost for a premature baby's hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Eight times that equals $1.3 million."

And where is all this money coming from? California taxpayers. People aren't too happy about this.

Read more here at SFGate.com. The article's pretty interesting.


Speaking of pregnant ladies, M.I.A is a sav for performing at the Grammy's the day her baby was due. But if her water broke on stage, that would've been GROSS.

In case you missed it...

1 comment:

Eugene Kan said...

It's an interesting debate and especially given the current economic situation, it's definitely compounded.

I'm not all that familiar with how the health system works, who pays for the in-vitro etc but going forward you would have to assume a "Suleman Clause" would be enacted in which there is some sort of tethering of in-vitro/artificial insemination and salary etc. Not fool-proof but a barrier to this not happening again.