Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Walk and a Squirrel

Golden Gate Park is literally across the street from my apartment and yesterday was the first time I decided to go for a walk. Usually my walk consists of going down the street and grocery shopping at the Asian markets, hitting up Walgreens, the pizza place or the liquor store. But the weather was nice so I headed towards Stow Lake.

I sat on a bench for awhile and kicked it with the ducks. I forgot how beautiful the colors of the feathers were. It was kind of peaceful just sitting there.



I don't remember the last time I've been to Stow Lake in the day time. I used to be a summer day camp leader and sometimes we'd bring the kids here to go pedal boating. And if you live in the city then I'm sure you've heard about the "ghost" at Stow Lake. My friends and I used to always come down here late at night and freak ourselves out. Supposedly a woman's kids drowned in Stow Lake and she haunts the place asking for you to save her children. If you ever want to get freaked out you should try coming here at night.

So while I was walking along the trail there were a lot of trees and a lot of squirrels. One squirrel decided to run straight towards me. I swear it was about to attack me and then suddenly it stopped 2 or 3 feet in front of me. I really wanted to take a picture of it, but I honestly got freaked out a bit. I tried walking around it but it just continued to circle me. I know this all sounds so stupid but let me tell you, I was trippin out! We proceeded our little face off and I walked away, but every time I turned around it was still there following me! When it finally went away I called my friend Regina to tell her. I knew she'd get a good laugh out of it. Next time I'll bring someone with me and see what happens next. Those squirrels are probably so used to humans being around they're not afraid to see if we have food!

2 comments:

Anne. said...

Random comment -- but I love the last picture :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kris, haven't seen you in forever, and I actually went to Stow Lake a few weeks ago.. I swear they took out all the rental paddle/motor boats. It's just not the same. The waterfall is lookin' whimpy too. And I walked around the lake once, and must have saw at least 4 or 5 squirrels, too.

-Alan